Kanazawa: David Joiner





Overall, a worthwhile read.

The story of a man married, seemingly not just to his young Japanese wife, but to her hometown as well. But, what happens when it is the locals dream to escape the very place that her husband has connected to his future? 

I didn't read this one straight through. At times, I put it down frustrated with the characters. These are people I don't completely align with, who at times come across as oddly lacking a sense of responsibility even, however, as I picked it back up and continued I began to get the sense that Joiner wasn't completely unaware of these ideas himself.

In the end, I think my slight difficulties were a result of Joiner crafting a work that defied simple characterization of youngish people trying to find themselves.

As a side note, I was called in to work a job just outside of Kanazawa in the midst of reading this book, and, as our protagonist persists in teaching us, it is a place to be fallen in love with. 

Again, a worthwhile, and not overly simple read.

Thanks to the publisher for a review copy

Comments