Salvation of a Saint: Keigo Higashino



Salvation of a Saint
Higashino Keigo
Alexander O. Smith (Translator)
330pp

                        
Pretty good mystery.

Easy smooth reading with interesting characters and plot (As Higashino can seemingly always be counted on to produce).

However, I rated this one a bit lower than some of Higashino's others since the killer is sort of obvious from the beginning, and a decoy would have added a bit to an overall mystery, I thought. On top of that, the ending is just a little far-fetched, and as happens too often in the mysteries I read, the evidence in a court would appear really difficult to explain and pin-down for sure, and in reality the killer has about a 50/50 chance of walking away free. It's all circumstantial (I could have been a lawyer!).


I always like a bit more of a "we got you, and nobody can deny it" sort of rap up.

(Even A. Christie allowed herself to get away these endings from time to time, but I think one more rewrite and a little twist and these wonderful writers could get even stronger at times)

As noted, I've already ordered Higashino's new translated book, due out in March (Ed. now 11/20 2018 release date), and look forward to the few more that I haven't read... and then... do I pledge to put the effort into reading the others in the original Japanese... maybe... maybe yes... I should give it a try to add to my strengths... just need that Kanji reading steroid... you have some??


Recommended, but not quite as good as many of the other Higashino works available.

Amazon Japan

Amazon USA

Comments